Looking to cool off this summer with a vegan treat made with simple ingredients? Look no further than our Harmless Harvest Vegan Orange Creamsicle Cups—the familiar ice cream truck staple, orange creamsicle, reimagined with better-for-you ingredients. (No fancy ice cream equipment needed!) Perfect for a poolside hang, kid's birthday party or impressing summer houseguests.
Vegan Creamsicle Recipe for Orange Cups
What you'll need:
- 3 large oranges (or 4 regular sized)
- Harmless Harvest vanilla coconut yogurt alternative 24 oz tub
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp orange zest
- 1/3 cup frozen orange concentrate
- 1/4 cup fresh squeezed orange juice
How to make:
- To make the orange cups: For the lid, cut 1/2 an inch off the top of the orange. To let the orange stand upright, slice a tiny sliver off of the bottom of the orange, and place it inside to cover the hole. Scoop out the flesh of the orange with a spoon or melon baller, and set hollow cups in the freezer to allow them to harden.
- Juice oranges (squeeze through a sieve to separate the pulp) and set to side.
- In a blender, combine Harmless Harvest vanilla coconut yogurt alternative, vanilla extract, orange zest, cornstarch, fresh orange juice, and frozen orange concentrate.
- Pour into a large container, and freeze until nearly frozen solid, about 4-5 hours.
- Blend vegan orange creamsicle mixture again to churn until soft and creamy. Spoon into orange cups, and freeze for 2 hours before serving.
Can I replace the frozen orange concentrate with orange juice?
You can! However, the texture will be a lot icier and much less smooth so we do not recommend it. Frozen orange concentrate not only provides a more intense orange flavor, but contains less water per ounce than fresh orange juice. The less water in the creamsicle, the smoother the texture will be.
Can I make this without the orange cups?
Absolutely! While the orange cups are adorable, it is a time intensive task to hollow them out. If making without fresh orange cups, you can skip the fresh squeezed orange juice (originally from those oranges used for the cups) and use 2/3 cup of frozen orange concentrate.
Recipe by @foodwithliz